A cataract surgery patient's eyeball exploded when a resident physician mistakenly injected local anesthetic directly into the man's right eye rather than behind it, according to the patient's lawyer.
The alleged incident, which left the man with permanent damage to his right eye, happened at a West Haven, Conn., Veterans Affairs hospital in 2007. Earlier this week, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs agreed to pay nearly $1 million to settle a malpractice lawsuit brought by the patient, 60-year-old Army veteran Jose Goncalves.
According to Mr. Goncalves' lawsuit, the injury occurred when a third-year resident at the hospital incorrectly administered local anesthesia directly into the patient's eye. She first placed the needle in the wrong spot and then, failing to realize her mistake, "proceeded to inject so much anesthetic, so quickly, that Jose's eye literally exploded," Christopher Bernard, attorney for Mr. Goncalves, tells the Connecticut Post. The lawsuit blames the incident on poor training of the resident.
keyboard shortcuts: V vote up article J next comment K previous comment